About Me

medical bills and taxes - can you deduct them?

Do you have a lot of medical bills that you pay on each month? Could those medical bills be deducted from your tax bill this year? I was helping my mother take care of all of her finances after my dad passed away. I didn't realize how many bills she had coming in each month for medical treatments that my dad had undergone months, even a year earlier. I started doing some research about medical bills and tax deductions. If you have medical bills, take a minute to read through this blog to gain some knowledge that can help you decide what you can do when tax time comes around.


medical bills and taxes - can you deduct them?

Tax Preparation for Different Types of Small Businesses

by Don Walters

Tax season can be stressful for anyone, especially for small business owners. It's important to file your taxes correctly and on time to avoid penalties and other complications. However, tax preparation can be especially complicated for small businesses as there are many different types of businesses, each with its unique tax requirements. That's why it's important to have an accountant who can guide you through the process and ensure that your taxes are done right. 

Sole Proprietorships

Sole proprietorships are one of the simplest types of small businesses to operate, but they can be complicated when it comes to taxes. As the sole proprietor of your business, you are both the owner and employee. You'll need to file a Schedule C form along with your personal tax return and report all of your business income and expenses. An accountant can help you navigate this process, make sure you're claiming all the deductions you're entitled to, and ensure you're paying the correct amount of self-employment tax.


Partnerships are a bit more complex than sole proprietorships, as there are multiple owners involved. Each partner must file a Schedule K-1 form along with their personal tax return and report their share of the business income and expenses. An accountant can help each partner understand their tax obligations and ensure that everyone is reporting correctly.


Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) are a popular small business structure for many reasons, but tax-wise, they can get a bit complicated. By default, LLCs are considered "pass-through" entities, meaning that the profits and losses of the business are passed through to the owners' personal tax returns. However, LLCs can also elect to be taxed as an S-corporation or a C-corporation. An accountant can help you understand the different tax implications of each option and help you decide which is best for your business.

S Corporations

S Corporations are a popular choice for small businesses that want the liability protection of a corporation but the simplicity of a pass-through entity. In an S Corporation, the profits and losses are passed through to the owners' personal tax returns, but the owners are also considered employees of the company and must pay themselves a reasonable salary. An accountant can help you determine a "reasonable" salary and ensure that you're following all the reporting requirements.

C Corporations

C Corporations are the most complex type of small business entity for taxes. Corporations are separate legal entities from the owners, meaning they pay their own taxes and file a corporate tax return. Owners are taxed on any dividends they receive from the company, and certain income is subject to double taxation. An accountant specializing in corporate tax can help you navigate this process and ensure you're doing everything correctly.

Small business owners have a lot on their plate. The rules and regulations for taxes can be overwhelming, and mistakes can be costly. That's why it's important to have an accountant who can guide you through the process, ensure that you're doing everything correctly, and help you save money wherever possible. By working together, you can make tax season less stressful and more manageable, allowing you to focus on growing your business.

Contact an accountant to learn more.